The Borio family’s link to Costigliole dates back to at least 13th July 1198, when Guglielmo de’ Burri swore an oath of loyalty to the Free Commune. The family had their own tomb in the parish church, proof of the power and respect they engendered and, in the 17th century, various documents attested to the importance gained by the Borio family, marrying into the Asinari family, then the Lords of Costiglio, thanks to the marriage between Giovanni Borio and Eleonora, Michele Asinari’s daughter.
Traditionally, the family worked as notaries, though the Borios also included several artists, one of which Giuseppe Borrio, a renowned engraver of the mid-1880s among whose works can be counted the parish church’s high-alter cross, but they also owned many vast estates, the most renowned of which is, even today, called Bricco dei Borio.
The Borio family, especially the priest Giovanni, is also to be thanked for the benefice which was used to help build the ancient chapel of Saint Stephen, in the ward of Loreto, for which the cult of the Madonna of Oropa was introduced, for favours received. In it could be seen the family crest: azure crossed by a silver band, within which a red-tongued black lion.